Saturday 21 December 2013

Travel in Belgium


As of yesterday my Christmas break has officially started. However exams were over on Tuesday. This has given me much time to travel around to the places that i do not get a chance to go very often, and the places that are just to big and full of things to see in just one day. In Belgium the method of choice for transportation is trains as they go everywhere, like everywhere. This has made it very easy for me to get around to see the sites here and still get back home in time for dinner, which for me is usually two half frozen hamburgers at the grocery store attached to Guillemins (the big train station in Liege).

 In the interest of saving time instead of telling you every city I have been to and you looking it up then copying and pasting the next one, I have made a little map of all the places that I have visited in my travels so far. Below you will see a mass of red where all the lines connect, that is Liege. My host city. Well not really I actually live 30 minutes south by train from there. Due to these constant train rides around Belgium I have gotten very use to sitting on a train for upwards of 5 hours a day. Today however, was special. Today going from Hony to Ypres and back i spent an estimated 9-10 hours on trains. In that time i saw a large portion of Belgium and had my very first glimpse of an authentic medieval windmill. It was rather cool, especially since there had been a large number of modern electric windmills installed behind it. It is really nice to see the people here benefiting from the ridiculously strong winds that never really seem to go away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment